“Podemos as a part of a new construction of democracy in Europe”.
– When: Saturday, September 13, 2014 from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM
– Where: London Welsh Centre,157-163 Grays Inn Rd, WC1X 8UE, London
Linked from its origins to grass-roots social movements such as 15-M, Podemos
is a Spanish political party willing to contest the mandates of the financial and political elites through new, radically democratic means. Although it was established only 8 months ago, at the last European elections Podemos won 8% of votes, while according to recent surveys today it would win about 20% of votes.
In the first part of the event, six invited speakers (see below) will discuss the current situation and the need of alternative economic programs that reverse austerity.
Afterwards, the debate will be open, and if you are interested we welcome your organization to take part of the discussion. We invite you to promote this event through your contacts: free tickets are available in Eventbrite (click here).
Also, we will be pleased to book one ticket for a representative of your organization who will be invited to actively contribute to the discussion. Due to time restriction, representatives will have about 2/3 minutes to ask questions, make comments or give a short introduction of their organization.
If you are interested, please let us know the name of the exponent of your organization that will come by Monday 8th of September and we will book a ticket for him/her (i.e. this person do not need to register in eventbrite).
Please, do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.
Contact: email@example.com, 07845068446 (Michele)
More information about:
– The event: in Eventbrite
– Podemos: read the document “In support of Podemos” signed by many international activists and intellectuals
– Podemos-London: web-page, FB, twitter
Main speakers (first part of the debate):
– Owen Jones (UK) : Author of “Chavs: The Demonization of the Working Class” and English columnist in The Guardian.
– Cristina Flesher Fominaya (USA): Socilogistof the University of Aberdeen and author of “Social Movements and Globalization”.
– Tania González (ESP): Podemos Member of the European Parliament and holds a political science degree.
– Iñigo Errejón (ESP): Phd political science and responsible of the European Parliament campaign of Podemos.
– Ken Loach (UK): TV and film director. Wrote films like Raining Stones, The golden dream, The Spirit of 45.
– Natalie Bennett (UK): leader of the Green Party of England and Wales