18 JUNE 2012
1. A CLOSE FINISH: New Democracy 29.66%; SYRIZA 26.89%. Yes, the election result is a disappointment; but it should be noted that Syriza’s vote rose from 4.6% in 2009 to 26.89% on Sunday 17 June 2012. In contrast, New Democracy’s fell from 33.5% in 2009 to 29.66% this time and PASOK’s from 43.9% to 12.28%.
The EU establishment had threatened the Greeks with Armageddon if they didn’t vote the right way. Alex Tsipras commented, “The future does not belong to those who terrorise but to those who bring hope.”
Middle-of-the road commentator Nick Malkoutzis said: “SYRIZA, with the freedom it will have as an opposition party and boosted by the swelling current of support that swept it to second place on Sunday, will be in a position to become a formidable force of resistance. In the fluctuating world of Greek politics, Sunday’s defeat may yet prove a victory for the leftists.” Full election results and Vangelis’s ‘take’ on the results given below.
2. THE NEXT GSC ORGANISING MEETING IS THIS WEDNESDAY - for discussions about the post-electoral situation in Greece, reporting on and planning solidarity work -is from 6.30 to 8pm on Wednesday 20 June at UNITE OFFICES, 128 Theobalds Road Holborn, WC1X 8TN (between Old Gloucester St and Boswell St – nearest tube Holborn, on Central and Piccadilly lines), followed by a drink in a local pub.
3. MONDAY 18th JUNE – 7 pm Boothroyd Room Portcullis House (near Parliament) – Jeremy Corbyn MP, Manuel Cortes (Gen Sec TSSA), Professor Vassilis Fouskas (Richmond University), Maria Margaronis (The Nation), on ‘LESSONS FROM GREECE. (organised by next generation labour
4. ON TUESDAY 19 JUNE, come and hear TONY BENN AT THE COALITION OF RESISTANCE PUBLIC MEETING – STOP THE CUTS / DEFEND OUR SERVICES / RECLAIM THE NHS at 6.30 Friends Meeting House (almost opposite Euston station), Euston Road, London NW1 with Stathis Kouvelakis a Syriza candidate in Sunday’s election, Len McCluskey (UNITE general secretary), Christine Blower (NUT general secretary), Wendy Savage (Keep Our NHS Public), Katy Clark (Labour MP), Salma Yaqoob (Respect), Owen Jones, Clare Solomon (Co-editor of ‘Springtime: the new student rebellions’), Rachel Newton (People’s Charter), Danielle Obono (Front de Gauche), Andrew Burgin (CoR), Vassilis Fouskas (Professor at Richmond University) Chaired by Romayne Phoenix (Chair of CoR and Green Party).
5. LAST SUNDAY’S ELECTION DAY SOLIDARITY EVENT - 17th June - outside the European Commission building and then, briefly, on Parliament Square had, at its peak, 50 people. See attached photo which also shows the new GSC Banner made by Alice Kilroy. It was a good-spirited event. Some of the slogans used: “IMF and Goldman Sachs / Give the Greeks their money back // We’ll break open the Metaxas / When Lagarde starts paying taxes // The Troika and their banker backers/ Are just a bunch of rich malakas // Don’t believe the propaganda / Greeks don’t need the memoranda // Don’t be bashful, don’t be shy / Seize the time and Occupy // In Athens London and Berlin / We’ll fight back and we will win // In or out the Euro-zone / Greece shall never stand alone!”
6. UNISON NORTH Mental Health & Community Branch in Conjunction with REEL News Film Night on what is happening in Greece ‘ Greece – Our Present is Your Future’ – Chestnut Community Centre, 280 St Ann’s Road N15 5BN 7-9pm Wed June 28.
7. RECENT AFFILIATIONS include: national train drivers’ union ASLEF, TSSA, SERTUC, Islington UNISON. JOIN UP! You can be a supporter (which puts you on mailing lists for free) or a member with voting rights for £1 per month. As a number of national unions and the South East Regional TUC have already, you can also affiliate an organisation.http://www.greecesolidarity.org/?page_id=37 You can run off an information leaflet with membership form http://www.greecesolidarity.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Greece-Solidarity-Leaflet.pdf
8. FINAL FULL ELECTION RESULTS